Alyssa C. Burghardt
Member, Education Practice
Alyssa Burghardt’s practice focuses on education and employment matters, with emphasis in special education counseling and litigation. Alyssa has counseled and defended clients in claims brought under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII and the Equal Pay Act.
Alyssa previously practiced at Seyfarth Shaw LLP in Chicago, where she gained extensive experience representing public schools in special education matters, as well as defending public and private entities in employment-related matters. She maintains memberships in a number of Colorado and national education law associations, and is licensed to practice in Illinois, Colorado, with the U.S. Supreme Court, and multiple Courts of Appeals and District Courts throughout the country.
Alyssa grew up in Colorado Springs and enjoys participating in numerous outdoor activities, including road biking, hiking and skiing.
- Northwestern University School of Law. J.D.
- Wellesley College, B.A.
- University of Manchester, England, study abroad
Professional Credentials & Activities
- Colorado Council of School Board Attorneys
- National Council of School Attorneys
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
Admittances & Licenses
- S. Supreme Court
- S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- S. District Court District of Colorado
- S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- “Disability Law Today: A Guide for Illinois Practitioners,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- “Understanding the Requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act,” Seyfarth Shaw Professional Development Alliance
Seminars & Presentations
- Student Restraint and Seclusion: How to Ensure Your Practices Are Up to Date, Colorado School District Self Insurance Pool and Multiple School Districts and BOCES, 2010-2013
- It’s a Brave New World: Section 504 Planning Post the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, Multiple Colorado School Districts and BOCES, 2010-2013
- Student Discipline and the IDEA: The Ed Rooney Hypothetical, Colorado School Districts and BOCES, 2010-2013
- Their Boy Elroy: An IEP Meeting Mistakes Vignette, Colorado School Districts and BOCES, 2009-2013
- Preparing for and Conducting Legally Compliant IEP Meetings, Colorado School Districts and BOCES, 2008-2013
- Top Ten IDEA Procedural Mistakes to Avoid, Colorado School Districts and BOCES, 2008-2013
- Section 504 and the ADA: Understanding the Impact of the EEOC’s Final Regulations, Colorado Council of School Board Attorneys Annual School Law Seminar, 2011
- No Longer Lost in the Fog: Negotiating the Bermuda Triangle of Employee Leave Law, Colorado Association of School Executives Conference, 2010
- Lessons Learned from the Student Restraint Litigation Front, Council of School Board Attorneys Annual School Law Seminar, 2010