John F. “Jack” Peters
Jack Peters is a member of Caplan & Earnest’s Education Law section, where he represents school districts in a variety of contested issues, including special education disputes, civil rights complaints, and truancy and expulsion hearings. He worked as a middle school teacher in Colorado prior to earning his law degree.
Mr. Peters also has significant experience litigating civil and criminal cases in Colorado. Prior to joining Caplan & Earnest, Mr. Peters spent six years as a Deputy District Attorney for the 20th Judicial District of Colorado (Boulder County). During his tenure there, he handled the Office’s appellate work and argued before the Colorado Supreme Court. He also tried more than 50 cases to juries, including financial crimes, violent felonies, sex offenses, domestic violence and DUIs.
Mr. Peters then spent several years in private practice in the Denver office of a regional law firm that has offices in six states. While there, he defended clients in a wide range of civil litigation and appellate matters in both state and federal court, including claims against public entities, constitutional claims, commercial disputes, professional liability and discrimination claims, and class actions.
Mr. Peters earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from Vermont Law School, where he was the senior articles editor for the Vermont Journal of Environmental Law. He earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Chicago. Mr. Peters was a member of the Board of Directors of the Boulder County Bar Association and is a member of the Boulder, Denver, and Colorado bar associations and the Faculty of Federal Advocates. He speaks English, French, Italian and Spanish, and conversational Mandarin Chinese.
- Vermont Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- Ranked in top 5% of class
- Senior Articles Editor, Vermont Journal of Environmental Law
- The University of Chicago, B.A.
Professional Credentials & Memberships
- Member, Board of Directors, Boulder County Bar Association, 2017-2020
- Member, Boulder County Bar Association
- Member, Colorado Bar Association
- Member, Denver Bar Association
- Member, Faculty of Federal Advocates
- Associate Attorney, Hall & Evans, LLC
- Deputy District Attorney, 20th Judicial District of Colorado (Boulder County)
- Summer Associate, Nixon Peabody, LLP, Shanghai
- Summer Intern, Justice Denise Johnson, Vermont Supreme Court
- Middle School Teacher, Logan School for Creative Learning, Denver