John F. “Jack” Peters
Jack Peters is a trial lawyer who represents clients in civil and criminal cases and investigations. For more than a decade, Jack has handled trials and appeals for individuals, businesses, school districts, and other government entities. Jack’s clients praise his ability to calmly advise them through crises and litigation and to effectively advocate in court, in persuasive writing, and in person. Jack’s practice focuses on criminal defense, civil litigation in state and federal courts, appeals, regulatory and law enforcement investigations, and counseling clients on crisis management, compliance issues, and avoiding liability.
Before joining Caplan & Earnest, Jack was a prosecutor in Boulder where he tried over fifty cases to juries and argued dozens of appeals, including before the Colorado Supreme Court. He then handled civil litigation and appeals in state and federal courts at the Denver office of a large law firm. There, he defended businesses, doctors, licensed professionals, and government entities in claims including commercial disputes, civil and constitutional rights, discrimination, personal injuries, and malpractice.
Jack is Caplan & Earnest’s primary criminal defense attorney and often advises other attorneys in the firm about criminal law and investigations.
Jack received his law degree from Vermont Law School, where he graduated magna cum laude and was articles editor for the Vermont Journal of Environmental Law. Jack graduated from the University of Chicago in 2004 where he studied Classics.
Jack lives in Boulder with his wife and three children. Prior to law school, Jack was a middle school teacher in Denver and a real estate agent in New York City.
- Vermont Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- Ranked in top 5% of class
- Senior Articles Editor, Vermont Journal of Environmental Law
- The University of Chicago, B.A.
Notable Cases, Experience & Verdicts
- Obtained favorable verdicts from juries in dozens of cases, including white collar crimes, violent crimes, sex offenses, and DUI’s.
- Successfully argued before state and federal judges in dozens of hearings on issues including temporary restraining orders and injunctions, motions to dismiss, suppression of evidence, contempt, and other matters.
- Prevailed in Colorado Supreme Court in case involving several novel issues of criminal law and procedure, establishing new rule of criminal procedure.
- Secured favorable ruling from Colorado Court of Appeals in case involving ability of property owner to challenge county zoning and permitting decisions.
- Obtained precedent-setting and high-profile temporary restraining order against a public health order discriminating against students with disabilities, on behalf of large school district and nine district students.
- Argued in temporary restraining order hearing for high-profile and influential class-action case regarding constitutional requirements for county jails to take immediate action to address constitutional rights of inmates during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Obtained dismissal of multiple cases alleging deprivations of civil rights by governmental entities, including cases against school districts, law enforcement, and special districts.
- Effectively litigated special education case, such that opposing counsel chose to voluntarily dismiss case rather than contest it at hearing.
- Trains young attorneys on effective direct and cross examinations, opening and closing statements, jury selection, and admission of evidence at trial.
- Supervised law students appearing in court and trained them in courtroom practice.
- Trained attorneys on civil rights litigation under section 1983 and municipal liability under Monell.
- Advises and train school district administrators on student privacy under FERPA, special education and section 504, public meetings and records, and other topics.
Professional Credentials & Memberships
- Member, Board of Directors, Boulder County Bar Association, 2017-2020
- Member, Boulder County Bar Association
- Member, Colorado Bar Association
- Member, Faculty of Federal Advocates
- Member, Colorado Association of School Boards
- Member, National School Board Association
- Associate Attorney, Hall & Evans, LLC
- Deputy District Attorney, 20th Judicial District of Colorado (Boulder County)
- Summer Associate, Nixon Peabody, LLP, Shanghai
- Summer Intern, Justice Denise Johnson, Vermont Supreme Court
- Middle School Teacher, Logan School for Creative Learning, Denver