Richard E. Bump
Member, Education Practice
Richard Bump’s practice emphasizes school and education law, especially representation of public school districts. He assists district clients in areas including board of education powers and duties, policy development, labor and employment, student discipline, constitutional and civil rights claims, construction, real and personal property acquisition and leasing, school finance, special education, charter schools and more. Richard serves as general counsel for many Colorado districts large and small, utilizing the breadth and depth of his experience to assist with negotiating and drafting contracts, advising on all aspects of employee performance and evaluation issues, alleged wrongdoing and dismissals.
Richard is actively involved in school and education law issues, maintaining membership and leadership positions in a number of Colorado and national school associations. He serves as a distinguished and frequent lecturer on education law issues.
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D.
Order of the Coif. Law Review, Member
- Colorado State University, B.A., Honors with Distinction
Professional Credentials & Activities
- Common Good Colorado, Board of Directors, Member
- The American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Boulder County Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- National School Boards Association (NSBA) Council of School Attorneys, Past Director
- Colorado Council of School Board Attorneys, Past President
- State of Colorado Land Use Commission, Past Chairman
“Investigating Alleged Wrongdoing by Employees in the School Setting,” co-author, with Kelly Frels and Jeffrey Horner of Bracewell & Giuliani. A monograph published by the NSBA Council of School Attorneys; an abstract of which has also been published in NSBA’s “Termination of School Employees: Legal Issues and Techniques.”
Seminars & Presentations
Frequent lecturer on education law issues to NSBA and Colorado Council of School Board Attorneys, National School Boards Association, the American School Board Journal, Education Law Association, Colorado Association of School Boards (CASB), Colorado Association of School Executives (CASE), Colorado Association of School Personnel Administrators, the Colorado Association of School Business Officials, and the Colorado Association of Superintendents’ Assistants.
Pro Bono & Volunteer Activities
- Boulder Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Colorado Chautauqua Association, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Boulder County Parks and Open Space Advisory Committee, Past Member