Tim Johnson is an attorney who is part of Caplan & Earnest’s Family/Divorce Law section. He has significant experience counseling clients on issues related to family law, property law, contracts, criminal defense and protection orders.
Prior to joining Caplan & Earnest, Mr. Johnson spent 20 years as a Deputy District Attorney in the Boulder County District’s Attorney’s Office, where he prosecuted more than 100 felony trials ranging from domestic violence issues to complex white-collar crimes to consumer-related cases. He has appeared on several national television shows related to his investigations while at the Boulder County District’s Attorney’s Office. He also handled a variety of cases related to family law issues while with another law firm in Boulder County.
Mr. Johnson earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Colorado Boulder and his law degree from the University of Colorado School of Law. As an undergraduate, he was a prestigious Boettcher Scholar.
- University of Colorado, School of Law, J.D. (Joel H. Greenstein Award for Excellence in Trial Practice)
- University of Colorado Boulder, B.A. degrees Political Science & Economics, minor in Astrophysics (Boettcher Scholar)
Awards, Recognition & Published Work
- Safe Shelter of The Saint Vrain Valley Legacy Award Recipient, 2017
- Boulder YWCA 2014 Cabaret Honoree
- Colorado District Attorney’s Council (CDAC) Faculty of the Year 2007
- Beth Haynes Award Special Recognition Award for contributions to Domestic Violence Prevention and Prosecution, 2003
- Authored Senate Bill 57 for 2002 Legislative Session; recodified the DUI Statute
- Author, “Domestic Violence and Federal Firearms Laws, 33 The Colorado Lawyer 61”
- Featured in Salon.com article titled “Black-and-blue in ones and zeros, Digital photography is revolutionizing the prosecution of domestic violence cases” (and “Somebody’s Watching You”
- Featured in television episodes of Forensic Files, Stalked, and Killer Instinct with Chris Hansen
Professional Credentials & Membership
- Admitted to practice law in Colorado
- Member, Boulder County Bar Association