David M. Strachan
David Strachan is an attorney in Caplan & Earnest’s Litigation section. He has significant litigation experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants, and his practice focuses on civil rights, employment disputes, personal injury, insurance coverage and bad faith, and commercial litigation.
Prior to entering private practice, David was an Assistant City Attorney in the New Orleans City Attorney’s Office’s Civil Litigation Unit. In that role, he defended and prosecuted cases on behalf of various municipal agencies/employees, including those related to Section 1983 civil rights litigation, construction litigation, public records litigation, public bid law litigation, FLSA class action litigation, opposing preliminary injunctive relief, motor vehicle accident litigation, comprehensive zoning ordinance disputes and appeals, and code enforcement disputes and appeals.
David earned his law degree from Tulane University School of Law and his bachelor’s degree from the University of Kansas. While attending law school, he served as a Judicial Extern at the Louisiana 5th Circuit Court of Appeals for the Honorable Fredericka H. Wicker as well as a Judicial Intern for the Honorable Jay C. Zainey at the United States District Court of the Eastern District of Louisiana. He also previously clerked for various firms and governmental entities.
When not at work, David and his family take full advantage of Colorado’s amazing outdoors. He also enjoys reading, running, and spending time with his family.
- Tulane University Law School, J.D.
- University of Kansas, B.A., History and Spanish.
Admittances and Licenses
- Colorado Supreme Court
- Louisiana Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (pro hac vice)
Professional Credentials & Activities
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Colorado Hispanic Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Spanish – near native fluency (written/oral)
- Giometti & Mereness, PC. Associate Attorney 2018-2020
- Ryley Carlock & Applewhite, PC. Staff Attorney 2017-2018
- New Orleans City Attorney’s Office. Assistant City Attorney 2015-2017
Pro Bono & Volunteer Activities
- Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans. Pro Bono Immigration Law Clerk for Domestic Violence & Immigrants’ Rights Section 2014
- El Centro Hispano – Durham, N.C. Direct Services and Legal Aid Clinic volunteer 2011