David M. Strachan
David Strachan is an attorney in Caplan & Earnest’s Litigation section. He has significant litigation experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants, and his practice focuses on civil rights, employment disputes, personal injury, insurance coverage and bad faith, and commercial litigation.
Prior to entering private practice, David was an Assistant City Attorney in the New Orleans City Attorney’s Office’s Civil Litigation Unit. In that role, he defended and prosecuted cases on behalf of various municipal agencies/employees, including those related to Section 1983 civil rights litigation, construction litigation, public records litigation, public bid law litigation, FLSA class action litigation, opposing preliminary injunctive relief, motor vehicle accident litigation, comprehensive zoning ordinance disputes and appeals, and code enforcement disputes and appeals.
David earned his law degree from Tulane University School of Law and his bachelor’s degree from the University of Kansas. While attending law school, he served as a Judicial Extern at the Louisiana 5th Circuit Court of Appeals for the Honorable Fredericka H. Wicker as well as a Judicial Intern for the Honorable Jay C. Zainey at the United States District Court of the Eastern District of Louisiana. He also previously clerked for various firms and governmental entities.
When not at work, David and his family take full advantage of Colorado’s amazing outdoors. He also enjoys reading, running, and spending time with his family.
- Tulane University Law School, J.D.
- University of Kansas, B.A., History and Spanish.
Notable Representation, Verdicts and Settlements
- Successfully prosecuted a Section 1983 Monell lawsuit which resulted in a jury verdict of $3.41 million in Franco v. City of Boulder for a client whose civil rights were violated by the Boulder Police Department; served as third chair trial attorney and authored the response to the City of Boulder’s motion for summary judgment for the Section 1983 Monell Claim that went to trial.
- Successfully defended a Colorado school district as second chair in a Section 1983 lawsuit surrounding a former employee’s allegations that her First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and association were violated by her employer; obtained a full defense verdict.
- Served as first chair in an arbitration representing a Colorado school district in an employment dispute; successfully argued that the collective bargaining issue was non-arbitrable.
- Represented a large Colorado employer in simultaneous investigations by the U.S. Department of Labor and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission; settled the matters for a fraction of client’s potential exposure.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an employer client in a Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act lawsuit. The court dismissed all CADA claims on the basis that the plaintiff was not disabled.
- Defended a local business in a personal injury matter; aggressive discovery efforts allowed client to settle the suit for a small percentage of the seven-figures initially sought.
Admittances and Licenses
- Colorado Supreme Court
- Louisiana Supreme Court
- Texas Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (pro hac vice)
Professional Credentials & Activities
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Colorado Hispanic Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Spanish – near native fluency (written/oral)
- Giometti & Mereness, PC. Associate Attorney 2018-2020
- Ryley Carlock & Applewhite, PC. Staff Attorney 2017-2018
- New Orleans City Attorney’s Office. Assistant City Attorney 2015-2017
Pro Bono & Volunteer Activities
- Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans. Pro Bono Immigration Law Clerk for Domestic Violence & Immigrants’ Rights Section.
- El Centro Hispano – Durham, N.C. Direct Services and Legal Aid Clinic volunteer.