The Caplan & Earnest educational practice group is the largest in Colorado. Today, we support more than half the districts in the state with a wide range of legal counsel and support services. We have earned a national reputation for our work in the area of educational law, being involved in several landmark legal decisions that have helped shape public education statewide. We represent large urban to small rural school districts, boards of cooperative educational services and other local educational agencies.
Setting the Standard in Education Law
In addition to general school board representation, our attorneys have extensive experience in:
- School finance
- Employment law
- Constitutional law
- Charter school management
- Election issues
- Special education
- Section 504/ADA compliance
- Student discipline
- Real estate acquisitions and construction
- Risk management
- School-related litigation
- Appellate work
Our experience and diverse client base allow us to pool information and resources so that legal services are provided in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Our index of legal opinions covering hundreds of issues minimizes research time and costs for clients. And, our approach to each district is unique as we tailor solutions to each client’s goals and priorities.
Our attorneys are available for, and frequently provide, in-service trainings for board members, administrators and staff. Recent trainings have addressed:
- The nuts and bolts of school board authority and responsibility
- Compliance with open meeting/open records laws
- Investigating allegations of employee misconduct
- Senate Bill 191: implementation and implications for reductions in force
- Crisis prevention, response and recovery
- Use and abuse of social media
- Student restraint
- Student discipline, including discipline for students with disabilities
- Section 504 planning after the ADA Amendments Act
- How to conduct legally compliant IEP meetings
Our clients receive the benefit of our perspective and analysis with updates on relevant legislative and legal matters. We host roundtable discussions and professional development seminars, including webinars that help busy school administrators gather relevant legal information efficiently, and we frequently are asked to present at key educational conferences.
Whether you are a district seeking counsel, or in-house counsel seeking support in a specialty area, our team is ready to assist you in your efforts to establish or manage agreements, remain compliant or defend or initiate litigation.