Elizabeth R. Friel
Elizabeth Friel’s practice supports school districts and Boards of Cooperative Educational Services
(BOCES) in a variety of education law matters, emphasizing special education counseling and litigation. In addition, Elizabeth assists school districts with general school law matters, including election law, effective board meetings, OML , Colorado Open Records Act (CORA), Teacher Employment, Compensation, and Dismissal Act (TECDA), Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), labor relations and more.
Prior to joining Caplan & Earnest, Elizabeth served as a staff attorney at the Colorado Association of School Boards, gaining experience in special education law, drafting amicus briefs, and developing school law resources for a variety of audiences.
Elizabeth has a keen interest in providing high quality professional development for public school district leadership and school professionals. She has extensive experience in developing and delivering useful, engaging seminars and presentations.
Born and raised in rural Illinois, Elizabeth enjoys cooking, general aviation, all things Notre Dame, and spending quality time with her husband and four young children.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, B.A. in Political Science
Admittances & Licenses
Professional Credentials & Activities
- NSBA Council of School Attorneys, Content Delivery Committee.
- Colorado Council of School Attorneys
- Boulder Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Association of School Boards, Staff Attorney
- Deutsch Williams Brooks DeRensis & Holland, Clerk
- Boston Public Schools, Office of the Legal Advisor, Clerk
- Boston Public Schools, Office of Labor Relations, Clerk