Laura Wassmuth is an experienced attorney who specializes in health law with a focus on litigation. She represents hospitals, healthcare providers, and medical organizations in civil disputes throughout Colorado’s state judicial districts and federal district court, as well as before regulatory agencies and licensing boards. Her areas of expertise include medical negligence claims, medical staff and credentialing proceedings, internal quality and peer review investigations, patient privacy and protected health information breach incidents, discovery of electronic medical records and retention practices, defense of civil rights claims involving public healthcare providers, guardianships in the healthcare setting, and employment and agency issues. Ms. Wassmuth also works with entities providing skilled nursing, assisted living and long-term care.
Having represented hospitals and healthcare providers in professional negligence cases since 1999, Ms. Wassmuth also represents individuals in patient privacy matters, civil rights disputes, general liability cases, and employment matters at both the administrative and federal district court levels. Additionally, she advises hospitals and healthcare institutions on patient safety and risk management issues, medical staffing, physician retention and employment disputes.
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D.
- Washington University, B.A.
Professional Credentials & Memberships
- Admitted to practice law in Colorado
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Member and Legislative Policy Committee, Colorado Bar Association
- Board of Director Member and Public Policy Committee, Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Board of Directors Member, Colorado Healthcare Associated Risk Managers
Honors & Awards
- Colorado Super Lawyers, 2017-2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Medical Malpractice (Defense), 2019
Pro Bono & Volunteer Activities
- Mentor, Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Board of Directors Member, Alpine Legal Services
- City of Glenwood Springs, Colorado Board of Adjustment and Appeals
- Board of Trustees, Garfield County Public Libraries
- Fennemore Craig, P.C., Director, 2014-2017
- Kennedy Childs, P.C., Attorney and Partner, 2007-2014