Doug Stevens is an attorney with Caplan & Earnest’s litigation practice. He focuses on civil litigation matters, including construction, outdoor recreation, personal injury, commercial and contract disputes, chiropractic and medical malpractice, and insurance bad faith and coverage. During his legal career, Doug has tried numerous civil jury cases as first chair. Additionally, he has deposed hundreds of lay and expert witnesses. Doug has also successfully handled motions hearings in both state and federal courts, and represented clients in both mediations and arbitrations.
Doug has also developed a significant practice advising outdoor recreation providers on various aspects of their legal and risk management needs. He frequently prepares documents for his clients including acknowledgment of risks and liability releases, vendor and service agreements, staff manuals, and customer registration materials. He also handles various types of litigation for recreation providers, including personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits and contract disputes, and assists his clients with accident response, insurance claims, and appropriate written and verbal communications.
Doug has been licensed to practice law in all Colorado courts since 2000 and all Wyoming courts since 2013 and was recently admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States. In addition to his involvement with several professional associations, he has made mentorship a central part of his legal career, serving with the Colorado Bar Association’s Mentorship Program since 2010.
Doug lives in Boulder with his wife, Kelli, and three daughters, Anna, Maren and Alexa. He enjoys all of Boulder’s recreational opportunities, including running, cycling and hiking.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A. in Political Science
Admittances and Licenses
- Colorado Court
- Wyoming Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming
- U.S. District Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Pro hac vice admittances: Hawaii, Illinois, Texas
Professional Credentials & Activities
- Colorado Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- Colorado Bar Association, Board of Governors (2007-09; 2021-23)
- Denver Bar Association, Bench Bar Committee, Co-Chair (2007-present)
- Boulder Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section, Co-Chair (2018-present)
- The Dude Ranchers’ Association, Business Associate Member
- Denver Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Chair (2006-07)
- Denver Bar Association, Board of Trustees (2006-08)
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Colorado Dude and Guest Ranch Association, Business Associate Member
- Faculty of Federal Advocates, Member
- Colorado Outfitters Association, Associate Member
Honors & Awards
- Colorado Super Lawyers, 2014-2020
- Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2012-2013
Seminars & Presentations
Frequent lecturer to industry professionals on various facets of outdoor recreation and adventure travel programs including liability, risk management and employment issues
Frequent writer for the Colorado Dude and Guest Ranch Association’s monthly newsletter
- Grund, Dagner & Jung, Associate and Partner
- Senter, Goldfarb & Rice, Associate
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Civil Division, Eastern District of New York, Intern
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, Hon. Richard M. Borchers office, Judicial Intern
Pro Bono & Volunteer Activities
- Colorado Bar Association Mentorship Program, Mentor
- Colorado High School Mock Trial Competition, Volunteer
- Cornerstone Safety Group, Advisory Board Member
- Watershed School’s Risk Management Committee, Member