Elliott Hood supports school districts across Colorado as a counselor and litigator in special education (IDEA), employment, E-Rate (FCC), expulsion, charter school, and Title IX matters before state, federal, and agency tribunals. Elliott’s practice emphasizes trial and appellate law, and he has successfully represented districts in IDEA due process hearings and state-complaint investigations, charter school appeals to the Colorado State Board of Education, and civil appeals to the Colorado Court of Appeals. Elliott also advises districts on tort liability, federal funding and revenue-sharing programs, and constitutional issues related to school policies and actions.
Before law school, Elliott taught fifth grade in Las Vegas as a corps member with Teach For America. During his second year of teaching, he served as fifth-grade co-chair and received an excellence award for outstanding teaching and service to his school. Elliott left the classroom to become director of individual giving for TFA’s Chicago region, where he oversaw and grew a multimillion-dollar fundraising campaign. He remains very involved with Teach For America and serves on TFA’s University of Colorado alumni board.
In his spare time, Elliott enjoys playing and watching sports, reading, and spending time with his wife, Caroline, and their son, Alden.
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D.
Magna Cum Laude
Public Service Distinction
Northwestern Journal of Law & Social Policy, Articles Editor
- University of Colorado Boulder, B.A.
With Honors Distinction
Admittances & Licenses
- State Bar of Colorado
- State Bar of Washington
- S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Professional Credentials & Activities
- Member, Colorado Disability Funding Committee (appointed by Governor)
- Board Member, Colorado Bar Association CLE Board
- Board Member, Colorado Teach For America Alumni Board
- Colorado Bar Association
- Boulder (Colo.) Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Wheeler Trigg O’Donnell LLP, Associate Attorney, 2015-2017
- Judge Robert E. Bacharach, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, Law Clerk, 2014-2015
- Judge A. Bruce Jones, Denver (Colo.) District Court, Law Clerk, 2012-2014
- Judge Morton Denlow, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Legal Extern, 2012
- United States Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Washington, Summer Law Clerk, 2011
- S. Environmental Protection Agency, Legal Extern, 2011
- Teach For America, Director of Individual Giving, Chicago Region, 2007-2009
- Clark County School District, Nevada, Teacher, Teach For America, 2004-2006