Laura Wassmuth is an experienced attorney who specializes in health law with a focus on litigation. She represents hospitals, healthcare providers, and medical organizations in civil disputes throughout Colorado’s state judicial districts and federal district court, as well as before regulatory agencies and licensing boards. Her areas of expertise include tort litigation, fraud and abuse, medical staff and credentialing proceedings, internal quality and peer review investigations, internal investigations of workplace and corporate misconduct, patient privacy and protected health information breach incidents, defense of civil rights claims involving public healthcare providers, and employment and agency issues. Ms. Wassmuth represents a wide spectrum of healthcare entities including hospitals, physician practices, managed care entities and long-term care providers.
Having represented hospitals and healthcare providers in professional negligence cases since 1999, Ms. Wassmuth uses her litigation and risk management experience to advise hospitals and healthcare institutions on patient safety, medical staffing, physician retention, fraud and abuse compliance and employment disputes. Ms. Wassmuth also provides professional review training to medical staff leaders.
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D.
- Washington University, B.A.
Professional Credentials & Memberships
- Admitted to practice law in Colorado
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Member and Legislative Policy Committee, Colorado Bar Association
- Board of Director Member and Public Policy Committee, Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Board of Directors Member, Colorado Healthcare Associated Risk Managers
Honors & Awards
- Colorado Super Lawyers, 2017-2023
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Top 50 Women Lawyers in Colorado, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America, Medical Malpractice (Defense), 2019-2021
- Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, Collateral Consequences for the Healthcare Professional, 2021
Pro Bono & Volunteer Activities
- Mentor, Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Board of Directors Member, Alpine Legal Services
- City of Glenwood Springs, Colorado Board of Adjustment and Appeals
- Board of Trustees, Garfield County Public Libraries
- Fennemore Craig, P.C., Director, 2014-2017
- Kennedy Childs, P.C., Attorney and Partner, 2007-2014